Application Process and Advice
How to apply
- Check if you meet our eligibility requirements.
- Have a look at the comparison table to see what the different companies are offering.
- Select the first company you would like to apply to.
- Scroll down on this webpage to read our general application advice.
- Follow this detailed guide as you fill in your application.
- Click here to view some example answers and for further advice from our current scholars.
- After you’ve submitted the first application, you can apply to one more initially, and then two more companies later. Most details will be copied from your first application, but you can amend it as necessary.
- Applications for 2020/21 are now closed. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to ask to be notified when applications for 2021/22 have been opened (expected Autumn 2021).
What happens next
- We check your application to ensure eligibility and company-specific requirements are met before sending it to the companies.
- The companies select who they would like to interview and contact candidates directly to arrange interviews.
- Interviews normally take place in late December, January or February – scroll down to read our interview advice.
- We contact you with the outcome of your interview in mid-February.
You may receive one or multiple scholarship offers. You will need to make a decision whether or not to accept fairly quickly, but please contact us if you need to discuss the terms of the offer.
For tips on making your summer work placement a success, check this blog post.
NOTE: There is no obligation for the company to offer you employment when you graduate, nor are you obliged to accept if an offer is made.
We may contact you between December and February to give you the opportunity to submit additional applications. This could be for a new company joining the UKESF Scholarship Scheme, or an existing company who would like to review more applications. Please ensure emails sent from UKESF to your university email account are not marked as spam, so that you don’t miss out on any additional opportunities.
If you are not successful in obtaining a scholarship this year, you are welcome to apply again next year.
- Research the companies you want to target
- Check that your chosen company offers the length of placement you want
- Ensure you meet any company-specific requirements
- Don’t be afraid to pitch yourself
- Try to use unique and relevant examples
- Mention your other interests
- Be clear and concise
- Check spelling!
- Research the company and be up-to-date on industry news
- Allow plenty of time for travel and dress smartly
- Smile, shake hands and make eye contact
- Demonstrate your technical knowledge
- Talk about your motivation and interests
- Remember it’s OK to not have all the answers
- Have some questions ready to ask