How does the Scholarship Scheme work?
UKESF is offering scholarships to students studying BEng and MEng degrees in electronics or electronic engineering at the UKESF partner universities. Scholarships are open to students in any year of their degree, except the final year.
Successful candidates are matched with sponsoring companies for scholarships that include:
- Annual bursaries of up to £1,615
- Paid summer work placements
- Industrial mentoring
- Professional development training at UKESF Summer Workshops*
- Opportunities to build relationships with potential employers
*Scholars sponsored only for the final two years of a degree may not be offered this by their sponsoring company.
As part of a scholarship, a UKESF scholar is expected to:
- Participate in at least one activity each year, during the scholarship period, to promote electronic engineering to school students; and
- Be willing to assist his/her university with the promotion of UKESF and it Scholarship Scheme to prospective and current students.
Advice is provided on our FAQ page on how you can promote electronic engineering to school students.
How long are the scholarships?
The duration of the scholarships offered will vary depending on the sponsoring company. Scholarships can start from any year of your degree (except the final year) and will continue until you graduate. All scholarships will include at least one summer work placement.
- Scholars studying 3-year BEng or 4-year MEng programmes will receive an annual bursary of £1,615 p.a.
- Scholars studying 4-year BEng or 5-year MEng programmes* will receive an annual bursary £1,075 p.a. for the 1st and 2nd year of their degree, and £1,615 p.a. for the 3rd, 4th and final years.
- Scholars studying 4-year BEng or 5-year MEng sandwich degree programmes will receive an annual bursary of £1,615 for each year of study spent in their university but not for their industrial training year.
*Currently applies to students registered at the universities of Edinburgh and Glasgow
Sponsoring companies will provide their scholars with at least one summer work placement for a minimum of 8 weeks. Some companies will also offer additional placements of longer duration including:
- 6-month and 12-month industrial placements
- Final year MEng project placements